The Foundation was established in 1975 by Bartolomé March Servera (Palma, 1917 - Paris, 1998). Educated firstly in Palma and later in London, Bartolomé March was a cosmopolitan figure who took advantage of his travels to develop a great love for the Arts. His parents, Juan March Ordinas and Leonor Servera Melis, encouraged his artistic sensibilities and his dedication to collecting. Taking his lead from his family, he became a prominent art collector and, above all, an expert bibliophile.
Devotion to culture and art
A library specialising in Balearic themes. Open to the public since 1970. The library’s bibliographic and document holdings span the period from the fourteenth century up to the present, and include over two thousand manuscripts (codices and series of autographed documents) and sixty thousand volumes of books, periodicals, pamphlets and other printed items.
At Palacio March, visitors can see part of the Foundation’s superb collection of modern and contemporary sculpture. The full collection reflects, on one hand, the particular taste of the collector and on the other, most of the trends that have influenced the history of sculpture during the twentieth century.
Catalogued as one of the collection’s treasures, this magnificent work began with the quest to collect eighteenth-century Neapolitan figures.
Since the 1970s, and with the encouragement of Leonor Servera, his mother and a woman of great character and sophisticated tastes, Bartolomé March had collected almost 2,000 pieces, some signed by renowned nativity scene artists.
Josep M. Sert (1874-1945) was one of the most prestigious mural artists of the twentieth century, and a good deal of his work was nurtured by the financial elites of Europe and America. One of his last works was for Juan March’s palace in Palma. It was the execution of two spectacular designs — one for the cupola of the main staircase and the other for the music room.
Another of Bartolomé March’s collections consisted of Mallorcan cartography. In Mallorca between the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, there was significant production of navigation maps, signed by local cartographers. The great majority of these maps left the island, and the most famous of them ended up in public libraries or in private hands.
Come and visit us!
Bartolomé March Servera Foundation